CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 15

Life and Death

In the wake of two recent deaths in my scope of acquaintances, I have been thinking about this time of year. How I have always rejoiced in the wonder and mystery of Christ come to earth; but how others struggle through the holidays grieving loved ones or not able to cope with life as they see it. Especially now as so many Americans are out of work. I'm right there with you!

I was thinking earlier today about something I learned in college. Not in class, but during a prayer and bible study meeting. We were talking about different levels of friendship. I can't remember everything, but basically there are three levels of people we know. Acquaintances (we know who these people are), people we call friends (we have things in common and hang out with these people), and friends who are our heart friends. I remember especially how these friends were described.

"These friends know the song of our heart and sing it to us when we forget."

I have been more than fortunate to have several heart friends through the years. They have often sung to me and reminded me of so many truths that I tend to forget or refuse to believe on my own.

My mom reminded me over and over that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Jeana reminded me that I am God's beloved.

Adam reminds me of my talents and strengths and loves me with a phileo love.

It was the love of these friends who have dragged me out of the depths many times. I can't thank God enough for loving me through these people.

At this time of year and after seeing so many people hurting from loss, I want to encourage you to sing that song that someone needs to hear. Has someone you know forgotten that they are loved? ...that they matter? ...that they are capable of more than they know? Let's remind them.

Here is my favorite Gaither song--(yeah, yeah...I know, but my grandma loved them and it wore off a bit). Make sure you get all the way to the last stanza. It will be worth it!

2 comments:

Jeana said...

I'm so glad we're heart friends. You've sung to me, too. I have also been thinking about the hardships and grief in my circles. Death, loss, joblessness, poverty, infertility, sickness, pain, divorce, abuse...it seems too cruel that these things would happen around Christmas time. But God is gently reminding me that Christmas happened FOR these things. So that Jesus could be God With Us and so that he could start making the world right again. I can't wait until that day. Love you, deary.

Molly said...

Emmanuel: God with us.

For he made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness...humbled himself...to death--even death on a cross!

For the creation was subjected to frustration...in HOPE that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.